Saturday, June 9, 2007

Gorge 2007 - Day One - Friday



Left Camrose at 2:30pm Thrusday. Slept in a Walmart somewhere in Ioha. Arrived on the Columbia about 11:00 Friday. Things didn't look great. Waterski weather at Rooseveldt, and no wind to speak of all the way to Hood River.

I stopped at "The Gorge Surf Shop" to pick up my Starboard Free Sex board which had been repaired over the winter. "Piere" did a nice job. Chatted with Bart for a while, and then headed to Swell City to meet up with Ross, Blain, Mike and Harold. Supprisingly the wind came up and we had a great sail. I was on my 5.6 Hucker and Seatrend Comp Wave board for most of the afternoon. Very big swell and fairly consistent wind. Most of the guy's were on smaller stuff - Harold 4.2, Blain 5.2. After a break, the wind seemed to drop a bit, so I went to my bigger board - the Free. By the time I got on the water, the wind had actually picked up. It was a wild ride - but I was really impressed how the hucker sail handled the overpowered conditions. The big board let me play in the waves half sheeted out, sheeting in only when I needed a bit more power. Overall a great start to the trip. Bart promises more wind this week.
Blain had a great day!
Ross was having trouble with his ears - recovering from a bad cold.

No comments: