Monday, June 11, 2007

Roosevelt - Day 3

Blain said he would rather have been sailing than sleeping Saturday, but at least he was rested up for a great day today! Great call by Mike, as we hit the best spot on the river again. We were all nervous leaving wind at Hood River, but we found out later that it died off and rained in the corridor. We arrived at Roosevelt around noon. I got out on my 4.8 Hucker and Comp Wave. Most of the guy's were on 4.2's and small boards. We had a great hour, and then it dropped off a bit. I went in and had a sandwich. By the time I got out again it was blowing harder and more consistently. I really like the Hucker sail. There was very large swell, and I had some of my best jumps ever. Some great weave rides as well. I am starting to get comfortable, but I don't have the knack like Blain, Kent, Ross, and Harold, who can go back and forth on the wave switching the sail several times.

There was another lull around 4:00, so I went in and changed to my bigger board (Starboard Free xxx) . Of course when I went out - it was stronger again. Very overpowered - but lots of fun. The Hucker sail is incredibly stable. Did I say I really like it....
Jim says "The best thing about Sunday was the lovely sailing site at Roosevelt State Park! Littered with more wind toy paraphinalia than my shed at the lake could hold (and I have tried). Good to see the sport morphsizing into a healthy youthful transition as kites were aplenty, with young people (under 50) enjoying the wind the water and the waves."

Moritz was the hero of the day. He was out as much or more than any of us. Uphauling and working very hard. He had his first waterstart around 2:00 - and completed 6 by the end of the day!!!!! Sorry - I don't have a pix.





Brad and Ted - showing off their new Hucker 4.8 Sails.

Harold with his new "Super Freak Sail" - Jim says it's appropriate!

Harold choose all the colors himself.

This boulder is an Erratic which was Ice-Rafted to Roosevelt park by waters of the last “Spokane Flood” approximately 19,000 years ago. Other Erratics are found in the hills to the north which indicate flood depths of over 800 feet at this location.

Kent's shoes almost match his helmet and Board.... Things haven't been going that well at Dow Chemical - so he and Moritz have been sharing this pair of Coral Crox.

Brad had a great day - staying Dry in Ross's suit, and taking care of all his bandages and injuries from his recent biking incident.

Jim is planning to have a chat with Cam about discretion and appropriate changing behavior!

No comments: